Logos Christian Academy Update
“A Classical and Christ-Centered Education”
May 3, 2019
“This book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.” Joshua 1:8
Thoughts from the Headmaster
This next week marks Teacher Appreciation Week in schools across our great country. One of the pictures in my office is something I received my first year of teaching over 20 years ago and states: “Priorities: A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove…but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child.” Right here at Logos we are incredibly blessed to have dedicated, compassionate, hard-working teachers who are making a daily difference in the lives of their students and for that we are grateful.
Teaching is a calling from God and at Logos we are a second home to each other, our students, and our families who grant us the privilege of teaching and loving their children every day. Did you know that teachers make more than 1,500 decisions a day – about four every minute? Each day is different and a new beginning. Our students are never far from our hearts, as our days begin and end with the same thought: Have I done enough?
As we look ahead to next week, please consider how you can let your child’s teacher know how much you appreciate them. Simple things, like a handmade card from a student, can mean so much. Additionally, our amazing UPLIFT parent group has some special things planned to honor our teachers. Along with what is planned, we are asking each child to bring a single flower to their teacher next Friday, May 10th – thus creating a bouquet of appreciation!
Pam Duarte, Headmaster
Free used uniforms in a variety of sizes are still available! Come get your “school clothes shopping” done early! Even if your child doesn’t need the next size yet, we encourage you to plan ahead and come shop now. We will be packing everything up and putting them in storage by the end of next week and don’t have room for all the uniforms we currently have. Don’t miss the opportunity!
- Good News Club will not take place this coming Monday, May 6th. It will reconvene for May 13th and 20th (which will be the last session of the school year).
- Last day for Library will be Friday, May 17th. All books must be returned by the last week of school.
Logos would not be able to function without its many volunteers who help us every day throughout the year in a multitude of areas! We would like to show our gratitude with a special Volunteer Appreciation Celebration on Friday, May 24th, at 1:30 p.m. Please plan to join us!
State of the School Meeting
Please mark your calendar for our annual “State of the School” meeting, which will be hosted on May 28th at 6:30 pm by the Logos Board of Directors. This is a time dedicated to looking back at our current school year and forward to the year ahead.
End of Year Field Day Sponsored by UPLIFT
An end of the year Field Day and barbeque for all students is being planned for Thursday, May 30th, from 11:45-2:50 pm. Many hands are needed to make this first time event a fun and exciting time for our students. Please be watching for more information on how you can help. You should be receiving an e-mail with sign up opportunities soon!
We have lots of work to accomplish at the end of the school year and early this summer to move classrooms and our library (books and furniture), possibly put in new carpet, paint, and set up our new Pre-K classroom. Additionally, repairs need to be completed on our fence and other areas of the school grounds. We will be sending out some dates in the near future and greatly appreciate any support that can be provided for these needs!
If you are going to need financial assistance for tuition next year, you need to apply for Scholarship grants through registered Scholarship Grant Organizations (SGOs). Please note: the first one is a new one. We highly recommend that you contact the following and apply to as many as are accessible to you ASAP.
- Injured Police Officer’s Fund, Shari Ghiorzi, https://ipof.vegas/
- AAA Scholarship Foundation, 888-707-2465, firstname.lastname@example.org
- America’s Scholarship Konnection, 866-622-4ASK, info@ASKscholarships.org
- Dinosaurs & Roses, 702-736-7787, email@example.com
- Education fund of Northern Nevada, 775-742-4285, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Nevada Action for Choice Access, 702-202-3573, email@example.com
- Student Choice Fund of Nevada, 701-410-8143, firstname.lastname@example.org
Local Rau Bee Honey Fundraiser
It’s not too late to still get your local Rau Bee Honey orders in – stock up for the summer! You can still get this delicious honey and benefit the school at the same time! Order forms are available in the school office or can be e-mailed to you. Thank you for your support!
Amazon Smile – Please Join!
Did you know that you can make money for Logos while shopping on Amazon? Just sign onto smile.amazon.com and search under the charity list for Solo Gratia, Inc. (our incorporated name). Select it and begin shopping. Amazon will donate a portion of your purchase amount to Logos. Thanks!
Calendar of Events
- 5/3 – Tuition Payment Plan and $150 Deposit/Curriculum Fee for 2019-2020 Due
- 5/6-5/10 – Teacher Appreciation Week
- 5/9 – Grades 2-5 Field Trip to Reno Philharmonic
- 5/10 – Awards Chapel @ 2:15 pm
- 5/24 – Year in Review/ Volunteer Appreciation Chapel @ 1:30 pm
- 5/27 – Memorial Day Holiday
- 5/28 – State of the School Meeting @ 6:30 pm
- 5/30 – 8th Grade Graduation
- 5/30 – All School Field Day in Afternoon
- 5/31 – Kindergarten Graduation and Last Day of School (½ day)