Logos Christian Academy Update
“A Classical and Christ-Centered Education”
December 7, 2018
“For unto us a Child is born, unto us a Son is given; And the government will be upon His shoulder. And His name will be called Wonderful, counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 9:6
Thoughts from the Headmaster
Thank you to all of those who were able to join us for Advent Night this past Tuesday evening. A delightful, joyous time was had by all. Families created advent wreaths together and were treated to cookies and hot cider, as well as an amazing performance by our own Logos students. I am always touched by how Logos families come together to help out – thank you to those who supplied cookies, door prizes, and assisted with set up and clean up! If you were there, be sure to utilize your special Advent book to remind your family of the reason for the season!
We have several reminders for this week:
- Please consider joining us or invite a friend for “Christian Education Night: A Choice for Excellence”, starting at 6:30 pm on Tuesday (12/11). We are hoping to reach our community with an opportunity to learn more about Logos Christian Academy, as well as Sierra Lutheran High School. Perhaps you know someone who might be interested in enrolling their child at Logos next year or you are interested in learning more about options for high school when your child gets ready for that phase. Please spread the word – we have flyers available in the office that can be shared. RSVP for the event by contacting the school office by phone or e-mail.
- Giving Tree Gifts (for Homestead residents or Angel Tree children) are due back to the school office by Wednesday (12/12). Please bring them wrapped with the “ornament” attached to the front of the gift. Be sure to sign off on your name on the sign-up list so we know your gift has been turned in. Thank you so much for your help in spreading the joy!
- Our first graders have been working hard to share an inspirational Christmas presentation at Friday’s chapel (12/14) at 2:15. Don’t miss it!
- Christmas Caroling permission slips are coming home today – please return by Friday (12/14). We don’t want any of our students to miss this amazing opportunity to give back to our community!
Fallon Lights of Christmas… UPLIFT used students’ special made ornaments to decorate a tree for the 9th Annual Fallon Lights of Christmas Live Tree Auction. Come and check it out this Saturday, December 8 at the Hutchings/Heritage Arena.
Uplift Meeting…The next UPLIFT meeting will be held on Thursday, January 10th at 6:30 in the school office. Mark your calendars and plan to join us for fellowship and planning as we move into the second half of the school year!
Yearbook… Logos Christian Academy yearbooks will go up in price starting February 1st. Get yours now on pre-sale for a discounted price of $25! You may order online at https://ybpay.lifetouch.com (utilize Yearbook ID: 12750419) or pick up an order form in the school office.
Auction Dinner… The procurement committee will be meeting on Monday evening, December 10th at the school office at 5:30 pm to begin planning the obtainment of donations for the upcoming Auction Dinner (March 23rd). There is still time to volunteer to help out! Interested? Show up or contact this year’s chairperson Shelby Cooper at email@example.com.
Box Tops… Start saving those Box Tops again! We will have a second “Box Top Competition” starting 1/14-2/15. More information to come!
Christmas Caroling & Angel Breakfast
We have a couple more Christmas celebration events coming up soon! Students will be traveling by tractor trailers to Christmas carol for senior citizens and community first responders on Tuesday, 12/18, followed by hot chocolate and cookies supplied by UPLIFT. Look for the permission slip in today’s folders. Then on 12/19 we will host our annual Angel Breakfast for the students. Information on how you can assist will be coming home soon. Please note that 12/19 is an early dismissal day at 11:30 and the start of our Christmas break!
With the colder weather, please make sure that your child is dressed warmly. If they have boots, they may wear them to school and have shoes in their backpacks for inside. Girls may wear navy or white tights or navy pants in place of a skirt. Warm jackets and mittens are a must on these freezing mornings!
Thank you for your kind response to the snow day this week. On mornings where the weather is questionable and local schools are doing delays, please look for an e-mail from the school prior to 6:30 am to inform you of our plans. Additionally, staff members will place phone calls to homes to alert you if school is delayed or canceled. Our primary goal in these decisions is the safety of our staff, students, and families.
Help Needed – Get Your Volunteer Hours In!
- Urgent! Cleaning bathrooms twice a month either on Wednesdays or Friday/Saturdays. Please contact Mrs. Mitchell in the school office.
- Yard Duty slots for 2nd semester. Special thanks to all those who have helped to fill the yard duty slots this first semester and for a willingness to continue in many cases. However, we will need additional help when 2nd semester starts. If you can help one or more times a week for one of the following time slots, please let the school office know: 7:45-8:05, 9:40-10:10, 11:20-12:00, 11:50-12:30, or 2:50-3:15.
- After School Enrichment Class leaders for 3rd quarter… Are you able to share a skill with our students after school once a week for 4-6 weeks? We have ideas, but would love to hear yours too! It can be anything like music, science exploration, woodworking, cooking, or let your imagination run wild! Interested? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Calendar of Events
- 12/10 – Dinner Auction Procurement Committee Meeting @ 5:30
- 12/11 – Christian Education Night @ 6:30
- 12/12 – Giving Tree Gifts are Due
- 12/17 – Board Meeting @ 7:00
- 12/18 – Christmas Caroling in the Community
- 12/19 – Angel Breakfast & 11:30 dismissal
- 12/20-1/ 4 – Christmas Break – No School
- 1/7 – Return to School
- 1/9 & 1/10 – Logos Spelling Bee
- 1/11 – End of 1st Semester and Spirit Day
- 1/14 & 1/15 – Math Olympics
- 1/16 – Report Cards go home
- 1/18 – Chapel – Latin Presentation
- 1/21 – Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday
- 1/28 – Board Meeting