Logos Christian Academy Update
“A Classical and Christ-Centered Education”
January 25, 2019
“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” Psalm 46:1
Thoughts from the Headmaster
The life of a Headmaster can be exciting because you never quite know what each day will bring! One of my responsibilities includes observing and evaluating teachers and I always enjoy what I learn in the process.
While I make every effort to get into classrooms as much as possible for informal check-in’s, formal observations are completed annually for veteran teachers and twice a year for new teachers. I’m currently half way through the second round of observations for the year and wanted to share some highlights from my visits.
- In the Middle School class, students were studying the topic of health and more specifically addiction. They discussed the quote “Our hearts are restless until we find rest in You.” (Augustine) and how that related to the topic of addiction. Miss Jung defined substance as something that alters the function of one or more of your organs and a discussion about sugar and caffeine focused on how those items also impact our health. At the end of the lesson, each student was handed an item (I.e. soda, energy drink, cough medicine, poppy seeds, green tea) and they shared out if it was a stimulant or depressant and how it affects the body. In conclusion, the teacher circled back to the quote from the beginning of the lesson and shared about the “God shaped hole” that each of us has and pointed out that our true fulfillment comes from our relationship with Jesus.
- The following week I observed a Bible lesson in Kindergarten and was amazed at the knowledge our Kindergarten students have of the Word of God. Mrs. Jung was teaching from Joshua 5:13-15. After reading the passage and reviewing what they had learned about the Israelites leading up to that point, the students got to experience “marching around the walls of Jericho” complete with trumpets, the Ark of the Covenant, and brick walls to knock down!
- First Grade was my destination this week, where I learned all about the process of mummification. Students have been studying ancient Egypt as part of their history lessons and they had the opportunity to put their learning into practice by going through the steps of mummification of a favorite stuffed animal. They also practiced the skill of sequencing, by using picture cards of the step by step process to sequence. The best part was hearing the students share how what they had learned and exclaiming, “That was fun!”
There is never a dull moment at Logos! Students are always learning (and so is this Headmaster)!
Plan to join us next Friday, February 1st, for our First Semester Awards Chapel. We will be recognizing students who placed in 1st-3rd place in the Spelling Bee (K-8) and Math Olympics (3-8), as well as Honor Roll (2nd-8th) for 1st and 2nd quarter. We hope to see you at 2:15 pm!
A Parent Survey will be coming home on February 1st to help us gather important information about your family’s experience at Logos this year. Please take a few minutes to complete the form and return it to school. Your input is helpful in making us aware of what we are doing well and where we need to improve. Thank you in advance for your participation!
Do You Like Hugs and Laughter?
You’ll experience that and more by helping out at yard duty! Logos requests that parents try to volunteer 6 hours a month to help support our school. It’s our volunteers that keep us going and we are extremely grateful. Currently, we are in great need of a few people to step up and assist our staff with yard duty responsibilities. Please consider helping out – it’s a fun way to connect with your child during the school day and get to know our awesome students. Grandparents are welcome too! Specifically, we need someone to help out at the following times:
- Monday and/or Tuesday from 11:20-12:00
- Tuesday from 9:40-10:10
Good News After School Club
Good News Club (Child Evangelism Fellowship) is coming to Logos soon! The club will meet on Mondays from 2:50-4:20 pm. It will offer Bible stories, crafts, games, snacks, and songs. Watch for sign up forms and start date coming home soon!
Rau Bee Honey Fundraiser
Our Rau Bee Honey Fundraiser is off to a great start! Monies raised will help to support facility maintenance and repair. We would love to be able to replace the carpet in our modular classrooms! This is an ongoing fundraiser – orders received by Friday of each week will be ready for pick up in the office the following Wednesday. There are some orders waiting for pick up from last week. If you need another order form, stop by the office or ask Mrs. Mitchell to send you one.
Auction Dinner… Mark your calendars for an exciting evening of delicious food, fun, and opportunity to bid on fabulous items! The Logos Biennial Auction Dinner will be held on Saturday, March 23rd at the Fallon Convention Center. Invitations will be mailed out soon! If you have a donation that you would like to contribute to the auction, please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Box Tops… Box Top Challenge… The race is on! Classes are competing for the grand prize of a Pizza Party! Congratulations to the 2nd/3rd grade class for bringing in the most this past week – 136 box tops! The overall standing right now is: K – 350, 1st – 262, 2nd/3rd – 182 , 4th/5th – 153 , 6-8th – 44. Last day is February 15th. Please check to make sure they aren’t expired. Watch for the progress of each class on our Race Car poster now located in the Lunch Hut. All proceeds will be used to purchase books and supplies for our wonderful library.
Yearbook Prices Go Up 2/1/19… Only one more week! Last day to get the $25 discounted price is January 31st. Prices will go up to $30 beginning 2/1/19. You may also order online at https://ybpay.lifetouch.com (utilize Yearbook ID: 127504190.
Calendar of Events
- 1/21 – School Holiday – Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- 1/24 – Intruder Alert Drill
- 1/28 – Board Meeting
- 2/1 – Awards Chapel – honoring Spelling Bee and Math Olympics Champs
- 2/8 – Mid Quarter (3rd Quarter)
- 2/13 – Progress Report Go Home
- 2/15 – Chapel at 2:15 pm – Guest Speaker
- 2/15 – Box Tops Competition Ends
- 2/18 – President’s Day Holiday
- 2/20 – Progress Reports Due Back
- 2/25 – Board Meeting